Amendment to off payroll working in the public sector rules

From 6 April 2017, new tax rules were introduced which potentially affect individuals who provide their personal services via their own companies (PSCs) to an organisation which has been classified as a 'public authority'. Amendments have now been made to the definition of a public authority. Where these rules apply: · the The public authority (or an agency paying the PSC) calculates a 'deemed payment' based on the fees the PSC has charged for the services of the individual ..

Read article
Adobestock 84187689

Automatic enrolment: Minimum contribution levels due to increase in April 2018 and April 2019

By law, on 6 April 2018, all employers are required to increase their contributions into their staff's automatic enrolment pension to at least of 2%. Staff contributions will also increase so that their contributions make up the shortfall needed to bring the total minimum contribution up to 5%. Contribution levels will rise again on 6 April 2019, with the employer paying a minimum of 3% towards the pension, and the total minimum contribution reaching 8% – with staff making up the 5% difference. The table below shows the minimum...

Read article
Adobestock 78607497

Person with significant control

So what changed on 26th June? Companies House have has introduced new Persons of Significant Control forms. Prior to 26th June you would notify Companies House of any changes to PSC details via the Confirmation Statement. From the 26th June you must now notify Companies House via the appropriate PSC form and the Confirmation Statement will no longer be used for this purpose. The Confirmations Statement should now only be filed to notify Companies House that all the information on the public record is up-to-date, very much like...

Read article
Adobestock 82463002

Minimum wage rises

Employers need to ensure they are paying their employees at least the appropriate National Minimum Wage (NMW) or National Living Wage (NLW) rate. The rates increased from 1 April 2017. From 1 October 2016 From 1 April 2017 NLW rate for workers aged 25 and over £7.20* £7.50 the main rate for workers aged 21-24 £6.95 £7.05 the 18-20 rate...

Read article
Adobestock 22455704

Tax-free childcare and childcare options

Tax-Free Childcare, the new government scheme to help working parents with the cost of childcare, launched at the end of April and is being rolled out to parents, starting with those parents with the youngest children first. For every £8 a parent pays in, the government will pay in an extra £2. Parents can receive up to £2,000 per child, per year, towards their childcare costs making a total amount of £10,000. Higher limits of £4,000 and £20,000 apply for disabled children. To qualify for Tax-Free Child...

Read article

Corporate criminal offence: Failure to prevent tax evasion

There is a new offence of corporate failure to prevent criminal facilitation of tax evasion coming into force from 30 September 2017. It applies to all companies, partnerships and LLPs. Individuals can be prosecuted under existing laws. It means management can be held liable for the actions of employees or agents who assist third parties to commit fraud or tax evasion. Tax evasion includes the offences of cheating the public revenue (which is a very widely drawn definition); or being knowingly concerned in, or taking steps with a view to, th...

Read article